For the next post in the blog series, “Enhancing Your ACIM Practice,” I share with you the next tidbit in how you can integrate ACIM into your life a little more easily.
You are always welcome to share your questions with me and I will answer your questions on the next ACIM with MiraclesOne podcast or here within the series.
Forgetting to Do the Workbook Lessons (or Remembering to Do the Workbook Lessons)
This is a frequent “complaint” of sorts. Honestly, we all forget to repeat a practice of the Lessons, or we skip a day by mistake or from an illness. This is normal. Even Teachers of ACIM have not remembered to complete every practice. In fact, if we were able to practice the Lessons perfectly, there would be no need for the lessons in the first place!
The Workbook for Students Lessons are meant to be a systematic training, mind-training, to be exact. The lessons to be done one a day for 365 days. Don’t be discouraged by this if you are comparing yourself to this schedule right now. Let that go. Let’s talk about what we can do.
- If you forget a practice, do not criticize yourself. If you recall my last post, criticism is a tool of the ego to distance you from God.
- You got it! Relax! Take it one moment at a time. If you forget your practice, pick up when you remember. Same goes for if you haven’t completed a lesson in a few days or a few months. Pick up where you are.
- If you don’t understand the lesson. Do your best. Do as Jesus instructs. Reread the Introduction to the Workbook. As Jesus says, you may not understand or like the lesson, but do it anyway. That’s the key. We learn by doing!
- How to remember the hourly, etc. practices. You can use a timer or alarm on your smartphone or watch. There’s an app for that! If you forget a practice, go back to #1 on this list.
- Take a look at your resistance. If we are honest with ourselves, we just are not dedicated to actually doing the practice. That is why this is mind-training, so we do practice. You might wish to create a journalling dialogue with the Holy Spirit so you can ask Him questions about your practice and to keep track of insights that come to you.
- Join with like-minds to get support. Every morning we offer a 15-minute phone call for the daily Workbook Lesson practice. Every Wednesday at 2 pm EST/1 pm CST we offer a Workbook Study Group (for 2017). Every Tuesday at 7:30 pm EST/6:30 pm CST we offer a study group where each week we take look at a different section in ACIM: Text, Workbook, and Manual for Teachers.
- We’re here to help! We’re equal partners in the journey with you. When I began the Workbook, I forgot lessons and I restarted several times. This is a process. Enjoy the process. BE HERE NOW!
Here’s a video from a live Q&A session I held a couple of years ago. It’s called “Practicing the Workbook for Students in A Course in Miracles”
If you would like to further enhance your study of ACIM, I suggest you join one of our live study groups through video or phone, or join our email study group, or enroll in this online self-study course we have available: Tools for Learning ACIM
Peace to You,